Kentucky’s Mammoth Cave National Park is the longest cave system in the world. Here’s five reasons to go:
• Beat the heat: Inside, the caves are always about 54 degrees.
• Lots above ground: Hiking, biking, boating – you don’t have to enter the caves to have fun.
• It’s free to enter the park. (Some busier national parks cost $30.) Campsites start at $20 per night, and less if you’re a senior.
• Renovated lodge and restaurant: If camping isn’t your thing, the renovated lodge, restaurant and shops offer a more upscale experience.
• Wildlife: The park is home to 70 threatened or endangered species.