A canine with a penchant for roaming became an icon in Lexington from 1946-1957. Smiley Pete strolled the streets claiming the sidewalk between Welch’s Cigar Store and Brandy’s Kitchen (currently the courthouse) as his home.
Despite attempts for adoption, Pete kept roaming the city, eventually becoming the only dog allowed to roam freely by police. He crossed busy intersections, enjoyed food from local restaurants, and brought smiles to the faces of everyone who saw him.
The community worked together to ensure he was fed and cared for. Today a bronze plaque honors the dog who brought joy to the city.
– Rebecca Hastings, The Kentucky 100