The best hand-me-downs aren’t clothes or furniture but skills and wisdom.
While helping my 20-year-old daughter move into her first apartment, I shared some valuable lessons about home (and life) improvement, learned from wise parents and in-laws:
• Hard work can be satisfying.
• Any project requires 2+ trips to a store.
• Essential tools: awl, level, ratchet screwdriver.
• Measure twice.
• Righty tighty, lefty loosey.
• Don’t force it.
• Find shutoff valves before you need them.
• Clean as you go.
• Take your time.
• Cherish the moments
Enjoy your new “home,” Harper, but keep the old one in your heart.