You should go to the Aug. 3 Fancy Farm Picnic, because there’s nothing like it: statewide politicians savaging each other on the same stage, with a background of chanters and hecklers and a chance to see history.
Tips for maximum enjoyment:
• Eat at the local-food buffet, starting at 11 a.m. The mutton can be an acquired taste, but it’s worth a try.
• Take plenty of water in a cooler. Remember that this is a Catholic picnic in dry territory.
• Go the night before, and attend your party’s pre-picnic breakfast in Mayfield.
• Take a hat. Prepare for heat.
– Al Cross, guest columnist, can be followed on Twitter or Facebook